Saturday, May 26, 2018

HOMEMADE BREAKFAST SAUSAGES - PART II

HOMEMADE ITALIAN SAUSAGES - PART II.-

The previous post was about Italian Sausages, either the sweet or the hot, but I saved some of the pork meat, with the added fat mixed in, to make into Breakfast Sausages. Kind of spaced out so it was a couple of days until I got around to getting these done and since I only had about 2 lbs of the meat for this it would be a small project so I decided to get on with it before I got even more lazy.....

For the Breakfast Sausages you will need:

1 lbs Pork Meat, finely ground
1/2 lb Fat back, ground together with the meat
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp Black Pepper, freshly ground
3-4 tsp Sage, can be fresh (finely chopped) or dry
2-3 tsp Thyme, can be fresh (finely chopped) or dry
1/2 tsp Rosemary, can be fresh (finely chopped) or dry
2-4 Tbl Maple Syrup / Light Brown Sugar or Piloncillo (grated)
1/2 tsp Nutmeg, grated (optional)
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)
1/2-1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes

NOTE: You will need to adjust the seasonings to your personal taste, we like a lot of flavor and might be a little strong for you. Start on the low end of the scale, make a very small test piece, cook and taste it. You'll be able to see if it's not sweet enough, needs more sage, etc. Jot down what you decided was your preferred version to use for next time. I also cook without any measurements, I just taste and adjust as I go along.

Place the meat mixed with the fat in a bowl and flatten down, add all the spices and knead or mix until well blended. Make a test piece and taste. Adjust seasonings if needed. Once the flavor is how you like it, decide what presentation you want your Breakfast Sausages to be, I made thin patties to be used in sandwiches but you might like something else: meatballs, links, log, etc.

For the patties I made I cut a square piece of cling film about 6x6" or 8x8", made a golf sized meatball from the meat, placed it in the center of the plastic, smashed it down until it was a patty.
You might have molds or decide on another presentation. I then made a stack of about 8 patties and placed them in the freezer. My guys know where they are hahahaha

NOTE: If you want instructions on how to arrive at the mixed meat + fat, search for Italian Sausages on the search feature of this blog and it will tell you the whole procedure. You can also buy ground pork meat or if you're in Mexico like me, you can ask your butcher for a 2 Kilo piece of Pork Butt or other fatty cut plus a 1/2 Kilo piece of fat back and ask him to double grind them for you. Then you won't have to get it done at home. I used my food processor since I don't have my equipment here.

I'm going to make a larger roll or maybe two medium sized ones pretty soon so I have them on hand to make Biscuits and Gravy. Make fresh biscuits and Sausage Gravy for your family, don't know about yours but mine love it! I can also use the Italian Sausage to make my famous Sausage Lasagna!!!

I hope you will try to make your own sausages, it's an easy project and one that can be enjoyed by the whole family. You will also see how easy it is to exchange herbs and spices and make sausages of all flavors or recreate some you've had elsewhere, remember there are no rules.

To cook: You can put a little water in a fry pan, add the sausages and once the water evaporates turn them until they get golden or just cook in a pan.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment