Saturday, January 12, 2019

VINEGAR BRAISED CHICKEN.- Wonderful deep flavors and aroma....

VINEGAR BRAISED CHICKEN.- This recipe might sound strange but the truth is that braising, frying first followed by long and slow cooking after, bring out the best in so many foods it's a technique you should definitely master. With the addition of vinegar, which breaks down food, tenderizes and flavors, well, what more can I say.

So anyway, I was blocked and couldn't think of something different for dinner. I had a whole chicken and no ideas, so I went to look at my pantry to see if inspiration would hit and so it did. At the back of the shelf was this bottle of amazing Balsamic Vinegar and the little light bulb went off. I looked through herbs and spices and got a nice mix together and went to work.

I need to tell you that this is not a quick dish, it takes prep time but most of all the cooking time needs to be left to do its magic until it's ready, ok? It's totally worth it so plan on this on a day when you're not in a hurry.

For this recipe you will need:

1 whole chicken, but you can also use just thighs or breasts or legs, it's all good
2 lbs Onions, Pear Onions are nice but I used large white ones cut in a feather style
3-5 Tbls Olive Oil
8 oz / 250 g Pancetta, but you can use Prosciutto, Bacon or Ham
6-8 Garlic Cloves, peeled and finely chopped
Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper
1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1 cup Red Wine Vinegar, you could use wine too
2 cups Chicken Stock, fresh made preferably
1/2 cup raisins
2-3 Bay Leaves

This is the basic recipe but you can see many variations to vegetables, like: add mushrooms, fennel, celery, carrots, turnips, potatoes, parsley, thyme, etc. you get the idea- whatever you like or have on hand.

First, I cut up the chicken into 8 pieces: separate thighs and legs, breasts cut in two since they were very large, 2 wings. The 2 back pieces I put in a pan with some aromatics and made the stock I would use. I always add celery, onion, garlic, carrot and cilantro, salt & pepper to my stocks and when I don't need stock, I keep a selection of :bodies (skin, backs, bones, innards) in the freezer, always! I never buy stock or use powdered, it only takes a little while and I use in all soups, rice, potato, dishes I make. It adds a wonderful flavor and an extra level of taste. Plus it's healthier.

Salt and pepper the chicken on all sides generously. Reserve.

Begin by cutting the pancetta, prosciutto, ham or bacon into "batons", slivers of about 1/4" thick. In a heavy pan add the oil and once hot over medium heat, add the sliced "ham". Stir until nice and golden and renders the fat which will add another level of flavor. Take it out once golden and reserve in a dish for later.

Now in the same pan add the onions and stir until it becomes golden, then add the garlic and bring this to a golden color too. Once they're nicely browned (but not dark) remove from the pan, place in with the "ham" with a slotted spoon, and reserve for later.

The chicken is now added to the same pan skin side down over medium high heat, working in batches so not to crowd the pan, turning until all sides are nicely browned, about 10-15 minutes per batch, until all pieces are browned. Remove to dish with the onions.

Now drain the fat from the pan and save it. Return the pan to medium high heat and add the two vinegars to the pan and bring to a boil. Don't inhale, hot vinegar is hard to take. Use a spoon or spatula to scrape off the tasty bits from the bottom of the pan. Now add the broth, raisins, bay leaves, the chicken, "ham", onions and garlic. Bring back to a boil, reduce to a simmer, partially cover it and allow to simmer for 30-45 minutes until the chicken is fork tender.

Once the chicken is done you can remove it, along with the onions and veggies to a serving dish or place in the oven to keep warm. Skim off the fat in the pan and discard. Remove the bay leaves, season with salt & pepper. Taste it to insure seasonings are on point. Spoon sauce over the chicken when serving and Enjoy!!!

I made Oven Roasted Potatoes along with this but I've served it with Rice or Pasta or maybe even Mashed Potatoes, your choice.

I hope you will try this braised dish, I know it will convince you to try more slow and low dishes which are always favorites, like Pot Roast, Short Ribs, etc.




No comments:

Post a Comment