Sunday, September 23, 2018

Magic Cake..... You should try it!

MAGIC CAKE.- This cake has been rolling around the internet for years and years, sometimes called by other names like "Intelligent Cake" with similarities to the other oldie "Impossible Pie" and while it undergoes some revisions over time, like the Chocolate, Nutella, Caramel, Flan versions, it's basically the same as the original vanilla version.

A very easy cake to make, very basic ingredients, economical to make and most people will like it, plus it looks unusual since the one batter makes three different ties all by itself, a base tier, a cream tier and a cake tier.

Lately I had seen quite a few videos on YouTube about these so I decided to make one, now I had made one many years ago and it was good, frankly I didn't remember much about it but my son did and he told me "Mom, you've made this, it's not a big deal, we liked it I guess". So off I went.

The ingredients you will need are:

4 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
8 Tbls Butter, melted and cooled (room temperature)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
2 cups milk, lukewarm
Powdered Sugar for dusting the top when done if you want

Preheat the oven at 325 F or 160 C. Use an 8 inch square pan or something similar. Grease it or use parchment paper so you can remove it easier once done.

I melted the butter in the microwave then put it in the fridge so it wouldn't be hot. The milk I put in the microwave also for 1 minute. I also do measurements on a food scale using grams but it doesn't matter which you prefer.

Start by separating the eggs (you'll be using the yolks in the batter so put them in a bowl while the whites will be beaten to stiff peaks so chose your container accordingly. I use an immersion blender with a whisk attachment. To the yolks add the sugar and beat together until light and fluffy.

Add the butter and vanilla to the egg mixture and mix well for a minute or two before adding in the flour a little at a time to insure it gets mixed right in. Once the flour is all mixed in begin adding the milk a little at a time to incorporate well.

Now beat the whites and continue mixing until they are at the firm peak stage. Once they are done you can begin adding them to the egg mixture, folding them in to mix them well. You can use a mixer for this too. The batter will be left with spots of egg white left so don't beat them in too hard and this is how the batter will look.

Pour the batter into the prepared dish and bake in the oven for 40 to 70 minutes or until the top is golden brown and still giggles a little in the center. Check it at 40  minutes to insure it doesn't burn since all ovens are different. Mine took the full 70 minutes.

The cake is best when it has been allowed to cool. I left it out on the counter for about 30 minutes and once it wasn't so hot I placed it in the fridge for at least 2 hours. You'll be able to take it out of the pan with the parchment paper so remove it carefully. I've used aluminum foil too in a pinch.

There you have the famous "Magic Cake", you can also look online for the other variations I mentioned or check out YouTube.

Hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment